Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Fan Expo 2010...the "kind" version

Okay...originally this post started out as a long, angry, descriptive rant about how the Fan Expo this past weekend was a complete shit-show (to use a term I learned from my sister). It's not that I've had a change of heart, but writing it all down was therapeutic enough (and my friends have gotten a earful of my many, many complaints). Even though things ended up working out okay for me and Myles, I know there were hundreds of people who were not as lucky or crafty as us - we had to SNEAK BACK IN to the con, even though we had deluxe passes!!!! I think my anger was also fueled by what seemed like complete indifference from Hobbystar. Finally, they have issued an apology and are promising better things for next year. We'll see about that...

Anyway, like I said, we were actually pretty lucky, and I was able to see the one panel for which I had to buy the deluxe pass: the Felicia Day Q&A!! We snuck our way back into the con and made it to the Q&A JUST as they were about to start, so we didn't miss anything. PHEW!!! As a special surprise, Felicia Day was accompanied by Amy Okuda (aka Tinkerballa). Some kind person - who was wise enough NOT to leave the con to get some lunch - posted this video of the Q&A. Felicia Day is so cute! And Amy was surprisingly charming, too...I'm sure she's highly misunderstood and misjudged since she plays such a bitch on The Guild.



We did go back to the con on Sunday, since Laura Klein had both of our sketchbooks (she drew me a Mysterio in her new, short & chubby style, and a Booster Gold for Myles).


Sunday wasn't too bad because we were able to show up late, waltz right in, and get some awesome free sketches at the DC Comics booth. I asked Brian Azzarello if he could doodle in my sketchbook, which was a bit intimidating because he doesn't ever look very happy to be there...but, he drew up a Batman that looks how I imagine Azzarello feels.

We were actually at the DC Comics booth because we were browsing at Yanick Paquette's table and he asked us if it was crowded because he needed to figure out how much time it would take him to get to DC for his signing time. We asked if he'd be sketching and he said he would do quick, free, head sketches. So, we booked it to DC and waited for him to show up. Now, if either Myles or I had our way, Paquette would have drawn up some Ultimate X-Men for us, but since there were DC guys watching over his shoulder, he had to draw us DC characters. I decided to go with Harley Quinn. Yanick is super cool and fun to talk to and, though I will miss his Marvel stuff, I think I'll keep an eye on his DC work...he says he is only exclusive to Grant Morrison , and right now he's going to build a relationship with DC. Who am I to argue??

           

There were two more super cool dudes at the DC signing booth when we were there: Chris Sprouse and Jeff Lemire!! I have to send a HUGE thank you to Jason for letting me hop in line for a Sprouse sketch. I forgot that Sprouse is a bit of a perfectionist and takes his time with sketches, so I probably shouldn't have asked him so many questions! But, he's a really interesting person and was telling stories about his earliest childhood memories of living in India. Very cool, indeed. I kept a mini-theme going with Batman villains, and asked for a Penguin. Jeff Lemire is also lots of fun to talk to, and I ended up asking about his process...I'm not sure why, though - it's not like I aspire to work in the comic book industry some day. But, he's the nicest guy and I was curious to know how different it is to write a mainstream comic, than it is to write/draw his own original work (according to Jeff, it's a lot harder writing the mainstream comic). Since he's writing Superboy, I asked for his version of him...I don't know about you, but I would love to see his take on a mainstream title!

             

Another plus side of going on Sunday? Jarett Cale aka Jeremy aka "teh_pwnerer", from Pure Pwnage! He was nice enough to doodle in my sketchbook, even though he suspected that I only wanted to see how badly he sucked at drawing. It's just a guy standing there!! Myles kindly took my photo with Jarett and I'm only just realizing that I never offered to return the favour...oh, well. He was surprised that I even wanted to meet Jarett, so I think that meant he didn't want a photo with him? *fingers crossed*

          


The only other sketch that I got was by a guy I met in artist alley, but I have no idea what his name is! [NOTE: Hooray for anonymous comments! His name is Ryan van der Draaij, and you can find his stuff here.] He had a huge display of these fantastic sketch cards with all kinds of superheroes, and villains, and Star Wars characters. His sign said that he also took requests so, of course, I asked for a Mysterio! The crazy thing was, he only charges three dollars!! I think it's worth more, so I gave him a bit extra. I really like his style and feel bad that I never took note of his name. I did say that I would see him next year, though...not that I've committed to going after this year's fiasco.

Like I said before, we'll see about that...

3 comments:

  1. The artist of that sweet Mysterio sketch is Ryan van der Draaij. Here's his site: http://artofryanv.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, mysterious commenter!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg those videogame vids! ZOMFG!!

    ReplyDelete